The esp8266 chip is made by Espressif Systems.
ESP8266 is a highly integrated chip designed for the needs of a new connected world. It offers a complete and self-contained Wi-Fi networking solution, allowing it to either host the application or to offload all Wi-Fi networking functions from another application processor.
The chip have both certifications FCC and CE. You can sell your products to the mass market.
- The FCC identifier : 2AC7Z-ESP8266EX
- The CE opinion number : TCF-1933CC14
Internet of things survey from an year ago at Wi-Fi.org shows very big numbers for smart enabled devices.
Why WiFi for the Internet of Things A.K.A Smart Devices?
Two words – security and availability.
While WiFi is know to be at the edge of the secure protocols it offers much more protection than regular 315/433Mhz devices. 2.4GHz keyboards were hacked recently too.
There are two main types of data that the IoT devices process:
- Sensor Data – It may be sensitive or not but can only be used for analysis. Can cause trouble but only indirectly.
- Actuators Control – If hijacked can make a real mess – what if you use a wireless door lock?
WiFi and the esp8266 chip provide enough security with the TKIP and AES engines built in /is there ever completely secure system? / to control your appliances.
So let’s get started and build some devices:
Appliance Control Goals
- Control devices – turn on/off your oven/dishwasher/washing machine/coffee maker/whatever at predefined schedule or at your will.
- Collect usage data from your appliances
- … ?
Environment Control Goals
- Monitor environment parameters
- Monitor presence
- Control environmental devices – lights, blinds
- …. ?
It’s an open ended post which will get updated for sure.
But let’s put that little beast to work!